Our founder, Madame Mary Volino, a San Antonio brothel owner, experienced a life changing conversion in 1895 and turned her brothel into a rescue mission for young women who were pregnant and not married. Methodist Mission Home became one of the first adoption agencies in the state of Texas and throughout our history have placed more than 6,000 babies in forever homes.
In 1976, we expanded our services by offering work and independent living training to young adults who were deaf, and later added residential services to young adults with various disabilities. After changing our name to Providence Place, we added the Volino Center for Women, Children and Families to our services, which provides assistance to parents of children under three and expands our existing adoption services to include foster care (DFPS) adoption and foster care replacement.
In 2019, we opened My Mariposa Home, a transitional residential program with the capacity to serve 20 women and children who have been impacted by trafficking, sexual or domestic violence.
The Volino Center for Women and Children:
- Private open adoptions throughout Texas.
- Foster care adoption in San Antonio through DFPS.
- Foster care placement.
- Parenting with a Purpose provides pregnant women and parents with children under three with free diapers, formula, counseling, case management and parenting & infant CPR classes.
- My Mariposa Home is an 18 month transitional residential program for women survivors of trafficking, sexual violence and domestic abuse and their children under three.
Adoption is a gift of life, love & hope.
- Oasis Home is a 2-4 year ICF Group Home for young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities which teaches work and Independent living skills and provides 24/7 supervision.
- Legacy which provides apartment living choices for young adults with disabilities that can already care for themselves, giving them a chance to practice their work and independent living skills for 2-4 years with support and case management.
We provide services on a 25 acre campus located in the medical center area of San Antonio. We also have partner agencies that rent space from us and we are constantly striving to serve the community in unique and comprehensive ways.
Our Unique Place
Providence Place is a unique non-profit that has been in existence since 1895. We create a place where people are accepted and provided with support to transform their personal story. Our unique programs assist:
- Young adults with disabilities with independent living through our Legacy and Oasis Home Transitional Housing Programs.
- Women facing an unplanned pregnancy prenatal, adoption, planning and child and family development education.
- Parenting and family development classes for families with children under the age of three.
- Women who are survivors of human trafficking, sexual or domestic violence with or without children under the age of three through our residential My Mariposa Home.